Fish Chowder

Introduction

This fish chowder will certainly take the chills away. Its hardy and incredibly easy to prepare. Since I rely on Captain Ken for my supply of fish and Ken being a catch and release kind of fisherman, I have to try to make the most of every little bit of the fish I can think of. I do agree though that rainbow trout are so pretty that I feel bad putting one under the knife, so I try to make the best of what I get! I used the head of the fish right out of the freezer to make this chowder but, if you don't want to tire yourself picking out bones or the thought of a fish head skeeves you, use only the flesh of the fish.

Grocery List

Onion
Garlic
Potato
Carrot
Celery
Bacon (turkey/ beef or pork)
Evaporated milk
Old bay seasoning about 1 teaspoon
Croutons
Broth (any kind -fish/ vegetable/ chicken or beef)

Instructions
I made this in the slow cooker so it literally cooked itself. Fry the bacon
Drain out most of the fat and fry the onions and garlic in the left over fat. Add salt/ pepper.
Cube up the potatoes, celery and carrot and place in slow cooker. 
Add the fried onions, garlic, fish (does not even have to be defrosted!), 1-2 teaspoons of old bay seasoning and broth (I used a 1 .5 cups). Add salt and pepper. Cook on low for 4 hrs. Shop, watch football, take dog to groomers during that time.
If on the stovetop cook for about 1hr on very low heat.
No worries, the house will not smell fishy, just only of delishousness! 
Turn off slow cooker after the 4 hrs.  This is a good time to gently pick the fish head out if you don't want to deal with the bones while trying to eat soup. The fish head does add a delicious flavor to the broth. 
Add 3/4 of a can of evaporated milk. 
Enjoy with croutons and fresh herbs on top with a squeeze of lemon. I cubed up some bread that I tossed with olive oil and garlic salt. 

Comments